Sunday, October 11, 2009

no matter how small

Not too long ago, my wise teacher said, "A show is a show, no matter how small". Meaning if there is only one person in the audience... it is a performance. The same performance if there were 1,200 people in the audience. Not only that, but the quality of your performance shouldn't change. Just because there is only one person watching, doesn't mean you can water down the show. Give it your all, %100 of the time. How true.

Her words have been dancing around in my head these last few weeks, as I have come to the realization that that basic concept simply applies to the aspect of living life. We are always putting on a show. Whether it be the way you say hello; a hand wave? or the tone of voice. The outfit you choose to wear. The speed you choose to walk. The people you choose to surround yourself with. The attitude you portray. Your weight. Your make-up. Your hairdo. Your mannerisms. And the list goes on. Life is one big show. Simply because whether you are in a classroom, walking down a one way street, in a ballet studio, hanging out, dancing on a stage, ordering food, meeting someone new, sitting at work, using your phone, telling a secret.... people are watching your every move. there is always one, if not many watching your life show.

My brain is crazy, I know. But, my life has drastically changed ever since I have viewed my life as a "show". I am cautious of my every move. I am slow to judge, and quick to observe the "performances" of other's. I am learning more than ever right now; about myself. But, also about those around me. I can honestly say I have been oblivious to so many details in the lives of those around me. I have also realized how often I examine someone's action and then given time, I mimic their way of doing something. How strange. We all learn from each other. We also all feed off of each other. Our lives truly are performances, whether we are watching ourselves in the mirror, or whether those around you are in attendance to your one man show.

Attend the "performance" of someone else's life; observe and learn. Or be mindful of the "performance" you cautiously choose to showcase on a regular basis. I promise your life will be changed for the better. Mine has. There is no ticket price, 'will call', opening nights or balcony seats. In fact, tickets are free, front row seats only, and your choice of show is unlimited. Be mindful of those you choose to watch. When doing so, don't judge. Only grow. And always remember, "A show is a show, no matter how small."

picture found here

1 comment:

  1. hey there,
    nice collection of thoughts you've put together here.
    I would also be mindful though, that even though our lives might be a 'show', i think its important to not get caught up in worrying about how others percieve us.

    I do think it is important to portray yourself in a good way- to be your best self and have others believe and see in you things you want the world to know about you..but sometimes i also cant help but think- you know what? whatever. screw everything (haha prolly not good oh well) - i will wear what i want and do what i want. you can judge me or you can like me.

    i try not to judge people too much cause im an oddity myself, but i think we place too much importance on perceptions. Sometimes i just wanna be a total free spirit and not care what others think of me. As long as they think good things- we're good.

    okay..i rambled. and i dont think that came out how it should have. im not dissing what you've written either haha. it was a great post. and i agree.

    anyway.just my thoughts!! :)

    ReplyDelete